Thursday, August 27, 2026

The Grand Tour

  We got an early start Wednesday.  Lynn wanted to be up for the sunrise so I started making coffee at 6am.  This was going to be a relatively short mileage day but a very busy day for sightseeing.  Sunrise was at 6:37 and it was a brisk 46 degrees outside.  I put on my heavy sweat pants and a polo shirt and wondered if I had packed a coat after a few minutes waiting for the right shot.

I went ahead and got the tanks drained while Lynn stowed loose items for travel and we were back on the road again by 8am.  We had to stop for morning meds and breakfast and found a great pull-out spot just as we were entering Grand Tetons National Park.  

I had concerns about this trip early on after reading about the crowds and hoped coming after school had started back up it would be better.  I’m not sure but it was still a bit crowded.  There were quite a few places I would have pulled over but there wasn’t any room to do so.  All for the better I guess, I think I got plenty of photos anyway.  

US 191 highway goes straight through the park but the Teton Park Road by the National Park Service has pull-offs everywhere and its free for park pass holders.  Remember that concern about the crowds, spent 20 minutes in line at the gates before getting on Teton Park Road.  Oh well, not a day to be concerned, this travel day was planned with lots of stops in mind.  And this little alternate route made it all worth while.

It’s great to be seeing places like this for the first time.  We’ve both done our share of trips in the past but it’s not easy finding spots neither of us have been to.  Even so, after stopping to get these pics, I actually felt pretty foolish.  Here I am in this OMG majestic place trying to get a photo that doesn’t include 40 other people trying to get the same shot, realizing 20 million other people have taken the same pic already and posted it online for all to see.  It’s actually how I knew the best places to go for these shots….  Oh well, this is my journal and I like the pics.  


We finally got to our next campsite at Bakers Hole Campground, just west of Yellowstone National Park around 3pm.  Nothing special, a shaded campsite with electric and a picnic table.  We’ll be here for 4 nights while we drive around the park and see the sights.  We had a problem as soon as we got backed into the campsite.  The hydraulic jacks that level out the RV were locked out with an error and wouldn’t work at all.  I had to drive a few miles back to town in the car to get a signal so I could get the instructions to reset it.  It worked, but I’m writing this as just a plain text document in hopes I’ll get a signal later and can login and paste this in.

I have no Idea when I’ll get a chance to upload another post but, I’ll keep a log and post again as soon as I’m able.  Thanks for stopping by.  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Grand Tour

  We got an early start Wednesday.  Lynn wanted to be up for the sunrise so I started making coffee at 6am.  This was going to be a relati...